Friday, September 01, 2006

Where do I place my focus on?

Got my own personal Littmann stethoscope and Sphygmomanometer today. (still have to get a pen light, scissors, black/red pens, pocket physical exam bk, uniform etc) My, ain't I excited about it! Hehe, we learnt how to take BP manually and the other vital signs today in the health assesment module. The very first time I tried listening for the 1st dub and muffled sounds, I just couldn't hear a single thing. Also had a little difficulty in controlling the valve at the pump. It was especially tough to practise and tune my ear to the sounds when the tutor and the other students kept talking (background sounds). Moreover, my 'patient' S, kept moving and talking. Hai, ended up taking the ruffled sound of the moving arm against the stethoscope as the 1st sound. Hehe... Practised more at home and I think I'm getting better at it:) So any one of you want a free health check? I can set up a booth for that:)

Had choir practise after school. It was so much more fun and relaxed than the first time I did Choir duty. I could feel the Lord's presence in the beginning of the worship practise and even when singing the slow songs. Although it was only a practise, God still spoke to me even though the music and singing keep stopping and at times, off key.

Had a vision of Jesus putting on the stethoscope unto my neck. He smiled and told me that this is a representation of the power and responsibility he has entrusted upon me to shoulder. The health of his children on Earth. "You will use this responsibility well and bring glory to my name". He also flashed across my mind (so fast that words had not even formed, but I knew what he wanted to tell me of in a split second) of project SMILE. Well, its not the medical instruments that will cure the patients, but its me myself (the inner me) who will bring about that healing to my patients. Wow, the moment I encountered this, I felt so honored yet humbled at the fact that God is going to use me ( me, and not the medical equipment which I own or use) to comfort and heal! Isn't that great? Suddenly, having a stet and BP set didn't really excite me any more. What fired up was the burning passion in me to bring Christ's comfort, love and healing touch to my patients. That is what that really matters to me now- to bring Christ to the hospitals and bedsides of patients!

Medical eqiupments and knowledge are there just to help me to do my job well. Its just there to assist, not to dominate my mind on the 'job'. Whats more important is patient (Christ) centered care. Nothing matters more than this! I pray that I'll always remember this as I step into the wards in a few weeks to come.

No comments: