Sunday, September 17, 2006

Week 5 of school

The stress of nursing studies is really mounting up. But I'm still enjoying my studies! Thank God for that:) Just realised that I've got to buy more than 1 book for a module to understand the subject better. Gosh, I'm really broke with all the buying of stuff.. OK. I've made up my mind. I'll buy Guyton even though it costs S$90+!!! So expensive! But dad n mum are really supportive. They gave me their blessings to buy anything I need to study. Like what mum told me, I've got to study properly now, cos in the future, patient's life and health are in my care and I've got to study in depth so that I can give the best care to each pt. Yep, I promise to do my best, to do my duty to God (hehe, guide's pledge. still can remember after so long. Not bad huh...) So, although I've spent almost my whole week just studying on how blood clots (hemostasis), I'll perservere on cos I know what I'm studying for:)

I've been faithfully praying everyday this week, as I step into NUS for open doors. And I find that doors are indeed slowly opening! This week has been fruitful in a sense that I've planted some seeds along the way in some of my classmate's lives. Put in some of my advice, helped and even discussed about christian issues with certain ppl. Really enjoyed these conversations. God, I pray for more of such opportunities to come along my way so that many more will come to know you and your word!

Went running and gym on wed with J. I totally enjoyed that long overdue work out! Haha, to think that my stamina and muscle strength is still there after not exercising for so very long. Thanks God! Really love the shared passion btw J and I in health-care and also in keeping fit. Haha, u know what? We actually studied anat while working out all those muscles. And we agreed to qn and tell each other about physio after our run next week (like why HR will increase when exercising, cardiac cycle/ventricular action potential etc etc). Not bad right? Study and work out at the same time:) Hehe, we the innovative nurses :)

Passed my first skills test of the course. Yeah, I'm now certified ok to do HW, PPE and transferring of pts from bed to wheelchair/commot. OK, may seem like the very basics, but its a good start right? Hehe, actually think even the basics are not easy to master. Have so many things to consider, like what type of hand wash is required, what sort of mask to put on, need PPE? Whether pt is fit to get on to wheelchair, how is pt 's condition, prevention of fall, body mechanics and APIE etc etc.. Wow, basics have so many things to consider, how about the intermediate and advanced nursing skills? Never mind, God will grant me the wisdom and knowledge as to how to go about doing it. He will bring me through:) I just know it. Cos he was the one who placed me here and he will not leave me hanging alone! God, help me to do well in this course so that I will be able to give all glory to you and to help many of my classmates too..


Went to the wards in NUH on Friday with Ms Catherine and a few others of my tut group members. Wow, I just love the hospital. We went to see almost all the different kinds of wards there. Saw a tachy, brady pt in ICU, a super cute baby (who looks like she has down syndrome). And the ops. And peds!!! (Squeal) Oh, I just can't wait to start my clinicals!

Went for the clinical briefing on friday. Wah, so many things to learn and do in clinicals. We've got to master 79 learning objectives, of which 15 must include the compulsory skills given to us for 1st sem clinical posting. And at the end of each posting, have to do a case study (that means history taking, physical exam and research into the case) and case presentation. Also, got to explain the reason/logic of doing things to my clinical preceptor (CP). Wow, got to really revise my anat, physio, pathophysiology, physical assesment/history taking and nursing skills before I step into the wards! But I think I'll enjoy it though, haha, cos then I'll be able to apply theory into practise! Realise that there's so much to learn in clinicals and it really depends on how much and what I want to learn. Lord, help me to learn as much as possible in my years as a student cos I really want to be a great nurse for you. And oh, black shoes won!!! Yippee:)

Preparing my heart now for clinicals. Will give myself SOLO everyday. Haha.. I promise to be the most enthu and initiative student ever!!! Haha, that means going with pt everywhere for ops, x-ray whatever. Master all my physical examination techniques, diagnostic ability and nursing skills.. And most importantly, ask ask and ask!!! Hehe, my CP's gonna have a hard time satisfying my endless curiousity and qns. I pray that she'll be nice and won't mind me asking so many qns!

Ok, gonna ciao to study about extrinsic/intrinsic pathway now. The most chim and complicating stuff of hemostasis!!! God, help!

No comments: