Sunday, August 27, 2006

The old nature and the new nature

Went for SOL today. You know what? I just love SOL, cos its a time whereby I can get to renew my mind and apply whatever that I have learnt into my life. Sunday's like my sabbeth day, ie a break from studying, doing chores... and just a time of coming to the Lord, yearning more of him, worshipping, reflecting and feeding my soul with the word of God. (not that I don't do it thru the week, but perhaps there's more time that I have set apart for God on Sunday)

Well, today I got to hear about the old nature vs the new nature. I had always wondered why God didn't want to change a person into becoming more like Christ the very moment he/she becomes a Christian. Why do even devoted Christians and leaders still sin? Why is it so hard for new believers to change even when they want to? After all, didn't the bible say that once you recieve Jesus into your life, your old self has died and and the new has come?

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, and the new has come!
-2 Cor 4:17

Today, I have finally come to understand this. That the reason why we christians still struggle with the temptation of sin is because of the old self which is still in us. Although we are born again to Christ, the fact is that the old self still remains in us and we have to consciously do battle against it.

There is a trap in which I sometimes may fall into. The trap of feeling that I'm growing well in the Lord, being filled with the holy spirit and then unconsiously letting my guard down. God reminded me that it is just so dangerous to do that because whenever I let my guard down against the evil one, the devil just loves it and will take this opportunity to make me fall. I also tend to look at people reported in the newspaper creating all sorts of unbelievable hurt and pain to others and wonder how they can do that. Today's lesson taught me that I can, if left to do whatever that I like, to be as capable as them in committing the most violent & immoral sin. It sort of shocked me as to what I could become if not because of God. Boy, I can never ever be proud or judge others after this revelation. Thank you God for showing me the truth!

Know that its all possible to live a holy life, pure and pleasing to God. However, the only way is to pray and renew my mind everyday. That is to feed the new self nature and starve off the old self. However, one of the things that I struggle about when I get really busy with school is my time with God. Its as if everything is screaming for my attention and at times, I fall and give in to the pressures, in turn sacrificing my precious time with God. Feel that my quality time with God is getting lesser and lesser since school started and I really want to repent from that. I want to put Jesus first in my life. Not studies, friends, or even ministry. I want to spend time with my first love. I pray that nothing will take that so important time of just being with God from me! Therefore, my application this week is really just to commit myself to at least 1/2 hr of unhurried time each day to seek the Lord and to just enjoy my time with him!

No comments: