Saturday, September 23, 2006

NUH

Today, I went to NUH again with my tutor after school. The only reason why I went this time was just to visit a cute little patient. She's so damm cute and lovely! Managed to find our way to her bed. But when we got there, she was just sleeping. So sad:( Didn't have the chance to play with her. Hai.. But I'm so glad to see her improving. Her tube's out already:) Hope she gets discharged soon. (Although I will not get to see her anymore, but at least I know she's doing fine).

Got to see A&E department today led by J, one of the tutors teaching health assesment from clinicals. Realised that in NUH, a doc n a nurse are paired up and they work really closely with each other. Also, whenever a pt comes into A&E department, the first person they'll see will be the nurse. Meaning the nurse will do triage of the pt within 3 sec, make an inital diagnose and then stabilise the pt. The APNs(advanced practitional nurse) will then administor drugs and monitor the pt's condition. Only after all these will the doc be called. Also, the docs usually go into the wards for just a short few min to check on the pt and then you won't see them again until evening rounds. All the while, it'll be the nurses who will take care of the pts. Well, I'm just so glad that in NUH, the nurses and docs work closely together as a team. Thats what a heathcare team is about right? And the entire team has only 1 common goal - Patient.


Finally gotten my uniform and black shoes. Still have to buy the nurses clock. As I get along the course and start to learn more, the equipments required would be more. Just pray that my pockets won't burst after my 3rd year! Haha...

No comments: