Thursday, September 28, 2006

Why like that?

2nd day of clinicals was quite slack. I was still located at the temporary ward whereby there was only 5 patients that day. However, I refused to sit there and do nothing. And so, I went to read their case notes. Realised that I could actually learn alot just by studying case notes and later, assessing the patients. Upon doing case summaries and reflecting on what happened that day, many thoughts started to strike me...

Actually, 2 cases that I saw yesterday gave me a deep impression and provoked much thoughts. One of these cases was this girl who had endocarditis and pulmonary lesion. Was admitted for septic shock due to dopamine. She was having difficulty in breathing and complained of pain in the RLL. When lunch was served, she started crying. The nurses there in the room all saw her crying, but not one of them comforted her. I had the urge to sit beside her and find out what was disturbing her. Was it the pain, or was it something else? But as a greenie 1st yr 6th week student who had just started 2nd day of clinicals, I wasn't too sure of how to go about doing it. That was because I was still following my CP around like a little lost child. But upon reflecting, I won't care so much next time round! I will just be garang enough to excuse myself to talk to the patients and find out more about them.

There was also another case of this man who is under police custody. This patient was already drowsy and kept getting fits. However, the police still handcuffed him onto the bed. Seriously, there was no logic. The patient can't even sit up, what less will get out of the bed to try and escape. They think he's faking it up. But seriously, he doesn't seem to be doing that. He doesn't respond to painful stimuli and his pupils were dilated at 7 throughout. How can a person fake until like that? I don't believe. Moreover, he just fell and hit his head. Why suspicion of head injury was not of immediate concern?

Sigh, more thoughts but can't blurt it all out here cos of patient confidentiality. Well, all I can say is that I will definately want to stand out and make a difference to the wards and the patient's lives. I want to bring Jesus comfort, love, hope and care to them all!

No comments: