Sunday, February 10, 2008

Heart's desire

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." -palsm 37:4

Today, I asked God "What does it mean to delight in you?" As I went to read the scriptures again and studied the word a little more, I realised that the word delight (chaphets) means to have a strong positive attraction for something. Yes, it means to like somebody very very much.

2nd question: " So, do I delight in you Lord?"

God brought me back to the very first time I fell in love with Jesus. Such an explosion of joy that erupted from deep within my soul. The excitement in meeting him every single day. The desire to know who this Jesus is. The irresistable draw of this gentle, tender, loving person into his presence. The peace in knowing that he is beside me evey single moment throughout the day.

As the days passed, this first inital passionate love was slowly replaced by companionate love. (using psychology terms here) True, here and there, Jesus would bring me back to the very first time I got to know him kinda of intense 'in love' feeling. But well, you don't always arise feeling 'in love' with God. Companionate love is much better. Companionate love is marked by very close friendship, mutual caring, liking, respect and attraction.

A secure attachment style soon developed (seeking closeness, interdependence, and not worried about losing the relationship). Time allowed for intimacy between us to grow. Yes, through stages of course, but always something wonderful in store at each stage.

You know, for a relationship to work, it always require two parties. You can never sustain a relationship with only one person working at it. God can initiate, God can love. But if there isn't a reciprocation, there is no relationship. Intimacy with God grew as trust grew, as I started to learn who God is ( his character), as concern for God's concerns grew, and even through the little debates we had with each other that allowed me to learn that he is indeed concerned about my thoughts. All that added to a deepening level of friendship we shared and we eventually grew to be great partners :)

And, that's what delighting in the Lord is really about! Yes, its about that first initial passionate love. But more than that, its about that companionate love we have with each other now. I emphasize the word 'we' and 'mutual'. Because delighting in the Lord is not just about me recieving the love, the care, the concern. Its about me being first delighted in His presence and reciprocating back in a very natural sense. Its about me loving what he loves, caring about what he cares, concerned about what he is concerned. And... When that I do, will not God grant me the desires of my heart?

Check heart.
Heart checked.
Check desires.
Desires checked.
God smiles.
I smile.

I know that my desires will be fulfilled in His time :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wassup man
happy cny!
rock onnn!!!

angel starz said...

haha... fan, is tht u? tht comment is so fan la!
happy CNY to u too :)