Tuesday, December 14, 2010

seeing society through the wisdom of God

I paused today while doing my essay to pray and to connect with God once again. So many thoughts and things happening throughout the 1 month post Pakistan trip. So much reflections and thoughts about the world.
I am blessed to have a partner that continuously shares with me his learnings and insights about what God is teaching him each day. Recently, he reminded me of the different spectrums of people in society. The struggles, the impatience that comes, the irritability of our own spirits. I don’t deny that I do have some of these feelings too when I am at work. In fact, there are times when I felt so guilty getting all those feelings, especially during the most vulnerable times when stressed, tired and feeling out. I was reminded of the times when I was mentoring a group of youths to whom society had given up on. It was challenging and there were times when I almost gave up hope on them too. Why? Becuase it requires more than human love and patience to walk them through this path that they are in. It was at that moment when God asked me if I was able to see the God potential in these people. Am I seeing them in terms of how society is seeing them or am I seeing them through the eyes of God?

The world we live in now worships power, richness, influence. Is the wisdom of the society worthy to be trusted? When Christ came to Earth and overturned the Jews and Greek's understanding of what it means to be 'King', 'Leader', 'Head', 'Saviour', He proved a point that the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

" Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many born of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things- and things that are not- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God- that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: " Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."- 1 corin 1:26-31

How many times have I been amazed by the accomplishments of this group where society has rejected. If only we see them through the wisdom of God. Everyone is created unique and special. No one person is more important to God than the other. And everyone can live up to their fullest, God-given potential if only we relate to them with the unconditional love and grace we ourselves have first recieved from God. I don't deny that it will be tough and challenging. There will be times of lapses. But the reminder that we are no different from them when God first called us- the lost me, the blur me, the stupid me... And the me now, changed and transformed by the power of God. The reminder that the calling and dream I have from God now is not a right, but a true blessing given by God... My redemption from the world and being in this position now where I can see through the wisdom of God. How then now, can I label others when I was previously labelled by society but now am saved? The message of God's love burns in me. And this message must be transformed into how I see and act and speak to the world.

May I then be the light to whom God has called me to be as I relate to the wide spectrum of people I see- be it in the emergency department, in church, in Singapore or in the nations.

No comments: