Sunday, December 06, 2009

Reflections on my half-marathon

I love to run. Because life is so hectic, running has been my time of solitude and reflection. Today, I ran with 50,000 runners in my second standard chartered race. I just love the atmosphere and running culture here in Singapore running races.

Running this year has been really meaningful. Tired out at work and its stressful culture, it was real pleasant to realise that Singaporeans are actually very encouraging and supportive :) The supporters and their messages never failed to put a smile and leap in my heart every time I ran past them.
There was a kids cheerleading team along the route. Seeing us run past them, they quickly formed up a little formation. Once the young girl managed to stand on top of her other 2 friends, she raised a yell of victory. All the runners couldn't help but clapped for them and cheered them on, even as they were there to cheer us on. (you should have seen that happy smile that broke out in each of their young faces) Heh.
It was also nice when the full marathon runners ran past in the opposite direction from us ( the half marathon runners) and all of us clapped and cheered them on as we past each other.

Being part of team NUS was special too. Because it brought back a very homely feeling, especially when so many supporters were there to cheer us on near the finishing line.

And there were many supporters message pinned on the back of the runners, with some reading
" You've come this far. Lets finish the race!"
" Running for my baby boy"
" Daddy, run! Run Run Run!


There was also a father and daughter team, with daughter's message tag reading " My daddy ( a thumb pointing to the right to her dad) and dad's tag reading " My daugther (thumb pointing to the left to his daughter). So sweet :)

And no matter how fast or slow, there were supporters shouting " Number one! Go on! You are looking great!"  And little kids cheering their tired daddies " Daddy, go! You are number one!" ( Upon hearing that, Daddy picks up speed and ran ahead, with little kid jumping up and down and cheering behind)

It was a beautiful sight, where everyone's motivation for running were written in their determined faces and some, on their tags. Everybody ran their own race, yet, stopping to cheer on others along their race.

Pain set in on the 18km mark. That was when God spoke and I knew the reason why I had to run this race. " Child, run till you see breakthrough. Run, because you are running for me. Run, because I will give you the strength to finish the race". And, almost magically, a runner ran past with the words " One life. Just run" on her back. And I ran on, with much lighter steps, knowing, almost crying, knowing that Daddy will always be running with me as I looked forward to crossing the finishing line, completing the task He has set for me to finish.

To all runners:
Run on. No matter what race you may be running. May this race be a structured experience on the real race ahead on you.

Yes, one life. Run on. Run and make it count for God.

We are running together, even as we are running our own race.
And don't forget to cheer and help each other to finish their own race too :)


... I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me... ( Acts 20:24)




And congrats to Amy and her boyfriend, who proposed to her after crossing the full marathon finishing line together : ) May both of you run and reach life's destiny together as one! So happy for you guys!


What a race!

No comments: