Friday, January 16, 2009

Coming of age

Studying O&G and pediatrics has made me grow up. It has opened up a whole new way of thinking of a special stage in life :)

I'm privileged to be given an opportunity to have such intimate learning about the process of pregnancy and parenting. To be actually involved in antenatal, labor, postnatal, neonatal and pediatric care is just so precious and amazing. I see miracles everyday! A moment ago, I was just doing the Leopold maneuver (abdominal palpation), CTG ( contraction & fetal heart monitoring) and the next moment, I see a little one coming into the world! Haha.. I cannot help welcoming every newborn that I see :)

Being involved helps me to understand a little bit better about what pregnancy and motherhood really means, the issues involved and why parents react in certain ways. I've also come to appreciate and agree that 妈妈真的好伟大! The physical and emotional changes that mummies got to go through, the pain, the inconvenience, the upbringing of the child, juggling work, housework, family and so many other things... Wow! And yes, the difficulties of breast-feeding and stress a mummy feels in both having to recover physically and yet at the same time, looking after a baby totally dependant on her. When I see the mummies, my heart goes out to them. They look so tired and drained out. I just want to hug them and thank them and encourage them for being so 伟大!
I heard a comment from somebody and I feel that its so true.
'Motherhood is just like signing a lifetime bond. You cannot break bond, no matter how tired and weary you feel.'
Haha. My mum fully agrees to this statement :)

Parenting is just so interesting. Its just like marriage. Those who are not married want to get in. Those we are married want to get out. Parenting? Those who don't have kids want them. Those who have them are scared and don't want any more. Haha. The grass is always greener at the other side :)

I've also come to understand females much better... The journey they need to take, the major changes and milestones in life... The challenges, physically, emotionally, spiritually. The important roles their partners play... In fact, all husbands and fathers (or those to be) should learn and understand these issues, such that they will understand their wife's physiological changes and emotional needs. I realised that the care and concern of the supporting person and those around her is so important and can determine the future of not only the women's psychological health, but also the forming of a nurturing and healthy family. Its sad to see cases of depression ( PND) and mummies crying for help when it could have been prevented by having someone beside her who understands what she's going though and to support her.
Perhaps MPC can consider adding this aspect as a follow-up course for couples. It saves wifes, saves marriages, saves families.


It has been a wonderful journey of learning. Interacting with so many parents and children has caused my thinking to mature much and changed the way I had percieved things previously.

To the new mummies and daddies,
Thank God for you for choosing to walk this amazing path! The journey ahead may be challenging, but it will also be filled with so much adventure and joy. Look to God and you will find the strength and wisdom when you feel that you cannot any longer. Be excited, because God has given you one of the best gifts in life :) Enjoy, because you will come to a new level of intimacy with God as you understand more of a Father's love as you become a father or mother yourself.
Finally, thank you for allowing me to step into your world and for helping me to see things through your eyes. It was a privilege being able to participate in caring for you and your newborn. Thank God for your beautiful child. And thank you for entrusting me with your precious little one to monitor and nurse back to health. I have grown to love them so much over this period of time and it was a pleasure to hand them back to you today ( although with a tinge of reluctance too :)

To my paediatric children,
You are so precious in my sight. You have brightened up my life and made working so fun :) I love your childlike ways and innocent thoughts. It was great seeing you wake up from lethargy to running around playing hide and seek together. It was heart-lifting to hear your painful crying turning to infectious squeals of laughter. I have enjoyed waving bye bye to you and waving hello to you again a few weeks later along the KKH mall. It was heart warming to see you from failure to thrive to growing in size :) Thank you for adding so much joy to my life :)

No comments: