Last weekend, I went for a medical conference that was of pretty high academic standards. The papers presented and planary teachings were really good. They were being taught by experts in their own fields and totally challenged my way of approaching and managing diabetic patients. I realised that many conventional way of doing things are actually wrong and there's more more than meet-the-eye when it comes to diabetic managment.
This conference had perhaps been one of the best I ever went to. I say that, not because of the medical aspect of it. In fact, some of them are so chiem that I pretty much don't get half of the technicality of it. However, one thing that I truly got out of the whole conference is the wonderful perspective the team has. I was being taught how to care. Yes. Can you imagine that? A medical conference teaching you that the caring aspect in a person is the most important factor. That itself is being emphasised over and over again by the different plenary speakers. It was just amazing. The team was so focused on the caring for the patient that the topic soon diverted into what best helps a patient ( which is not really medically related). Amazing! To qoute what surgeon, Prof Vickie R.Driver ( leader of the limb preservation team) says: " Anybody who cares makes up your team." Yes, indeed. Although competency and skills come into play too, the most important thing ultimately in choosing your team are those who care. I am amazed. That it came from a world renowed surgeon. That she need not have said it, because her caring heart could evidently be seen just by the way she presented.
I am very blessed. I thank God for giving me this opportunity to learn from the best of world experts. Although the entire conference which lasted for the whole weekend was very very draining and tiring ( was also battling lethargy and some physical problem), it was just so good. I feel blessed enough to get to hear from top experts who have not forgotten the fundamentals of medicine. I feel blessed to see role models to whom I can look up to. I feel blessed because I saw how the christian speakers truly showed forth God's love and care, not just for the patients they serve, but also to their fellow collegues and teammates. I feel blessed that the wisdom they spoke with has imbeded into my heart. I feel reassured too, that the system definately has hope because of world leaders who truly care.
I am humbled. As a year 3 student, I realise that I am in a very interesting position. I know alot more than what I know as a year 1. Yet, there's so much more that I have yet to grasp. One thing that I have realised, esp after this conference. The more knowledge I have, the more humbled I become. I no longer find anxious patients and relatives who do or say things that may seem silly to us ( healthcare professionals) funny. I do not laugh at them. I do not participate in jokes made at them by other professionals. I don't laugh at their fear and anxiety. Because I understand that I was once like them. That I am here, not to laugh, but to allay their fears and concerns. That this knowledge given to me is truly a privilege which I am so grateful to God for. And because of this, the more I study and practise, the more humbled I become, knowing that the skills and knowledege are given to me to bless and care for others ( not only patients, but fellow collegues too).
God, help me. Because it is easy to talk, but requires a great deal of God's strength to see things through this perspective when being thrown into a world that does not.
No comments:
Post a Comment