Monday, September 08, 2008

A cold is not just a cold

There is this one nagging fear in me that constantly bugs me. Its a good bug. And I thank God for it. I fear falling into routines. I fear losing my focus. I fear losing the purpose to which God has called me to.

There is no doubt God has called me into healthcare. And I do know the reason deep down in my heart. I enjoy studying and learning. I enjoy seeing patients and learning from them. However, routine sometimes cuts in and subtly causes me to lose my primary focus to which I was called for.

Learning about diseases, how to diagnose and treat them is both exciting and satisfying. After all, these knowledge also bring with it good grades and respect from those around you. Healthcare professionals, agree? Can you see what's wrong with this sentence? Deny you may, but if you were to carefully search your hearts, I believe many of us would have fallen into this trap many times. Yes guys, you may start of with very good intentions. But if you do not reflect and are not careful, subtly, the devil will cause this good intention to become one that allows him entry into your life.

Instead of treating the patient, you end up treating the disease. Seeing many patients coming in day after day, how many times have we allowed our hearts to be hardened to suffering and pain? How many times have we disregarded our patient's fears, even though the condition may not be life threatening? How many times have we been excited over the 'rare and interesting' cases? Its ok to be excited over these things. Its ok to be passionate about learning. But yet, is our passion to learn one that learns to care for the sick and suffering or one about diseases itself?

Oh God, search my heart and allow me never to be cold towards pain and suffering even as you place me in a position where I see them daily. Help me never to brush off a 'small, minor thing'. Allow me to minister to people, and not minister to the disease.

A cold is not just a cold. A cough is not just a cough. A superficial cut is not just a superficial cut. Because I serve people, allow me Lord, to bring forth your compassion and love to each one you bring into my path, no matter how small their illness or condition. Help me, O Lord, to keep my focus on you and to be true to the purpose to which you have called me for.

No comments: