Sunday, January 14, 2007

Breakout! Rise Up!

Recently, I just got to know of some problems and struggles which my classmates are facing. My heart just went out to them and I knew I had to help them somehow. I was then reminded of the many people to whom God has placed into my life to reach out to. I realised that ever since I stepped into NUS, I never really had the time to catch up with them and to find out how they are doing. Also to my wonderful kids whom I spent much time ministering and helping them through school and life… I miss those days which I could have just spent the whole entire afternoon with them just talking and getting to know them. However, I also know that I need to study and work hard in my course. As much as I love these people whom God has so wonderfully placed into my life, I also love my patients and I do have a responsibility to learn how to give the best care to them. So many things just came into my way. Everyone of them is important, but yet, I know that I have to find the focus God wants me to have this sem. Because I know that if I follow his agenda strictly, I will be able to accomplish and do everything that he wants me to do for this sem.

And so, I prayed to God and asked him to show me where he wanted me to focus on for this year. The Lord showed me many things. But basically, the 2 main areas he wanted me to focus on this year is my studies and in ministry. This however didn’t give me any peace though. Because the first thought that came into my mind was that these two areas will require plenty of time and effort. I wasn’t sure if I can actually cope and live up to God’s expectation of me. I know how easily it is to stumble into just wanting to focus on my studies and not to be spiritually alert of what is happening around me. I was so afraid that I would fall again and fail to catch the rhema period of speaking into the lives of the people around me. The fear in my heart is not so much of whether I will be able to balance both studies and ministry, but whether I will be able to live in the Lordship of Christ over every aspect of my life, not only in the beginning of the semester, but throughout the whole entire course and even after I graduate. I was so fearful that I would fall in this area.

Went into service today with a heart of expectancy that God will speak to me. I knew he will, because I needed desperately to hear from him directly. Many people have been trying to encourage me these few days. However, nothing seemed to be getting into my head. I just needed to hear from my father himself!

True enough, God never fails and I was ministered deeply in my spirit today by the Lord. When pastor released the prophetic word to which he felt strongly was the word for us, I knew that the word was for me. “Don’t quit” says the Lord. Many a times, when we’re fighting for the cross, persecution also comes along our way.
“In fact, everyone who wants to lead a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted”
- 2 Tim 2: 12

However, God reminded me that I’ll be a warrior of Light who will move into battle with a victorious attitude. “Don’t quit” because I’ll definitely see the victory of the Lord. Don’t quit because the Lord knows who are his. (2 Tim 2:19). Don’t quit because the Lord is going to train me up on spiritual resilience this year. Even as this year is called a year of victory, it will be filled with plenty of battles to fight. But I should fear not, because God has not sent me out to war alone, but that Jesus will be with me as I fight for him!

3 aspects of a warrior’s call
1) A call to fight
2) A call to fight together
3) A call to fight together to win

(1) A call to fight
God has called me to fight for him this year. In fact, it is every Christian’s responsibility to fight spiritual warfare constantly. When I first signed up to be in the kingdom of God, I have already signed up for spiritual warfare.

This year however, the call to fight becomes even stronger as my responsibilities in the wards increase and I am starting to see the many opportunities out there whereby God can and will use me greatly. And precisely because of the greater work which I’ll be doing for the Lord, the spiritual war will get even stronger and tougher. I see it coming, because I see the many seniors out there who have been attacked. Some know and are still fighting, yet some have been blinded and have hardened their hearts. However, I choose to join in the ranks of the army of the living God. I choose to say “ Yes, Lord. I’ll fight and remain faithful till the end!” I need not fear, because I know that the Lord has gone before me and that he will be with me even as I put on the full armor of God to fight it out!!!

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. -2 Tim:7

I sense the Lord telling me that He has already given to me spiritual gifts that I need to minister to others when I was anointed by Apostle Khong. God had been preparing my heart and building spiritual giftings and faith in me during the past few weeks throughout the whole series of sermon "When the Spirit comes in Power". And in this new year, I sense the Lord telling me to now go in faith and to start pastoring my sheep. (whether is it in church, school, or anywhere else) And even as I say “Yes, Lord” and move out in faith, I need not carry with me the fear of failing. Because God has already imparted in me a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. And when God imparts in me these gifts, the spirit of victory has already been awaken and risen in my soul. I can even celebrate the victories even before I see it coming to pass! Because I have 100% faith that it will be done according to the promise of my ever faithful God!

(2) A call to fight together
Even as pastor called us to stand united to fight the battle together as a church, I sense the Lord telling me to even impart this spirit of victory and the fighting spirit to my fellow nurses and doctors. Because the Lord has set aside us as a very special group of people to whom our battle will be fought in the hospitals. And I cannot win the hospitals and the faculty of medicine to the Lord alone. I need a team of people believing and working alongside with me to see it happening. There is indeed a reason why God has been speaking and preparing my heart so much for the past semester. The time is now! The time has come for me to fan into flame the little spark I have in my heart into a strong fire which will spread like wild fire throughout the entire faculty such that many more soldiers (esp the Christians in our mist) will join in the army of God and conquer the hospitals and clinics in Singapore for the Lord!

(3) A call to fight together to win

I know that I’ve gone deep in passion last year and more so this year. But the challenge for me now is to go deep in passion and to keep that passion in me burning as I continue to run the race. I know that God is going to train me up on endurance this year. But I have made up my mind. That I will keep my eyes fixed on Jesus no matter what and I'll endure and go all the way for the Lord!

“It is this weapon of endurance that finally convinces the devil that he has to quit. Too many Christians quit minutes before the victory”.
I will not be not be one of them. I will take up the weapon of endurance and fight all the way! I know that the road ahead is long. There’ll be many times of trials and obstacles. However, this will be my true test of faith and character. But I’ve made up my mind and committed to the Lord that
I will fight the good fight,
I will finish the race and
I will keep the faith!

No comments: