Friday, February 06, 2009

missonary's blessing- I'm on my way

I met a missionary surgeon based in Papua New Guinea today. It was a divine meeting. God knew. And He sent him all the way from PNG, to Singapore, to YLLSOM, to coffeegrounds just so that potential missonaries like myself can be encouraged.

I so desperately needed that word. That encouragement. That inspiration. That hope. That assurance. God knew. And He gave :)

I'm encouraged. That I'm in the right track. That my years in nursing school have not been wasted. That my perspective has been right. That I can continue to do what I've been doing to prepare myself for it.

Although the lessons shared were not new to me, it was just different when I heard it this time round. The experiences and lessons shared struck deep within me and stirred up that little glowing coal-what that was left into a flaming fire once again.

I'm encouraged.
I want to do missions.
I want to be out there in the fields.
I want to serve the nations, the people.

I need the training.
And I'm glad I'm on my way.
It has been tough, but it has been exciting.

3 things that I took away:

1) God answers prayers
So pray pray pray

2) Learn along the way
- There'll be surprises and you'll be doing things which you have never done or learnt before. In fact, there'll be times when you'll have to do a procedure which you have just read the day before or even times when your textbook is just open beside you while you're actually doing the procedure/surgery.
- There'll be alot of doubts and uncertainty when you first step into missions. Because school or even working will never prepare you enough for what you'll be doing and experiencing there.
- I'll need to know everything and anything under the sun. I need to be trained broad-based. Know things from every discipline. Because when I'm there, I'll be using everything, all my skills and knowledge that I have ( plus new ones picked up there and then)
- Most importantly, know where to find the answers. Know which are the good books, journals, resources. Learn everyday from everywhere and everyone.

3) God is faithful
- God is faithful to the calling He has called you for.
He will never fail.

I'm so grateful for that gentle uplift and encouragement that yes, Evelyn, you're on your way. You're on the right path :) You're definately on your way!

No comments: